At the beginning of 2013, Varnita village benefited by financial support of the Government for construction of new building of community Health Centre. A project proposal was submitted by LPA to SCBM Programme, asking support for furnishing and equipping the Health Centre. Taking into consideration that this Centre was planned to provide healthcare assistance for people from both banks of the Nistru river, thus holding a significant confidence building potential, the project proposal was approved for funding by the SCBM Programme Board.
According to the information provided by the administration of the Varnita Health Centre as of August 2017, the number of beneficiaries of medical services increased significantly as follows:
- In 2013 – 7,500 patients: 5,100 from Varnita and 2,500 from TN region;
- In 2014 – 8,524 patients: 5,100 from Varnita and 3,424 from TN region;
- In 2015 – 11,560 patients: 5,200 from Varnita and 6,360 from TN region;
- In 2016 – over 12,000 patients, out of them 5,200 are locals.
The figures above demonstrate an increased necessity to enlarge the community’s health care facility, as initially it was created for max. 7,300 beneficiaries.
The extension of the Health Centre offers improved conditions for treatment for villagers as well as patients from neighbouring communities, notably from the left bank of the Nistru River.
- Over 12,000 people living on both banks of the Nistru River will receive improved medical services in modern and safe conditions;
- The extension of the Health Center addresses the needs of the community and creates a sustainable environment to enhance the trust and cooperation between people.
This is the fourth project implemented with EU support in Varnita village within the social infrastructure component of the Support to Confidence Building Measures Programme:
- The reconstruction and modernization of the Varnita village central road connecting it to the Bender Northern District created favourable conditions for life and work of the village inhabitants and a better cross-river interaction between people. The road is of strategic importance given that it is used not only by 5,150 people from Varnita, but also serves as the sole access road to over 10,000 inhabitants from Nordic district of Bender town. Period of implementation: August 2012 – May 2013. Budget: 97,700 provided by EU and 3,125 EUR provided by local community.
- The equipping and furnishing of the Health Centre in Varnita offered improved conditions for treatment for villagers as well as patients from neighbouring communities, notably from the left bank. Period of implementation: August 2013 – March 2014. Total budget: 45,135 EUR offered by the European Union.
- The improvement of educational and sports facilities of the community through refurbishment of the multifunctional centre ASCLEPIO, and sports complex. The implementation of this project allows for a better cross river collaboration between people from both banks. Period of implementation of the project: December 2015 – June 2016. Total budget: 162,184 euros provided by the EU, and 5,000 euros provided by the local community for construction materials, and project documentation, etc.
Also, UNDP implemented other projects financed by the EU in Varnita village. A modern biomass heating system was installed in Varnita lyceum in 2014, with the support of the EU funded Moldova Energy and Biomass Project.