Component 1 concentrated on an institutional assessment and strategy development of the former General Inspectorate for Phytosanitary Supervision and Seeds Control (GIPSSC) and following the project extension focuses on defining and formalising accreditation to ISO 17020 standards for key functions of the NFSA inspectorate;
Component 2 focused on the operational procedures and staff resources of the GIPSSC and then the NFSA, the regulatory framework under which they work, and their needs in terms of facilities, equipment and IT. Component 2 also concentrated on the optimisation of the legislative framework and institutional structure of the NFSA (including the channels of communication) for efficient and effective functioning;
Component 3 works on the establishment of a national pesticide monitoring programme and a survey of pesticide usage, training of inspectors in planning surveys and taking samples, and the development of a training curriculum for NFSA inspectors and finally,
Component 4 will raise awareness of the responsible and safe use of pesticides through a proactive and preventative regulatory and enforcement approach.
- Support the development of the agricultural and food sectors of Moldova in compliance with EU and international rules and to support the ability of these sectors to participate more fully in international trade;
- Prepare a risk-based National pesticide monitoring programme that ensures compliance with EU regulations and increases consumer protection;
- Embed the concept and practice of a risk-based approach in all relevant activities of the NFSA, particularly relating to pesticides;
- Improve the capacity of the NFSA to define, plan, organise and achieve strategic and operational objectives by using EU compliant approaches which are risk based and targeted at prevention.
- Define and approve the precise role and remit and on that basis the strategic objectives of the NFSA in food safety and plant health;
- Optimise for efficient and effective functioning the legislative framework and institutional structure of the NFSA (including the channels of communication);
- Improve the effectiveness of the national pesticide MRL monitoring programme through an appropriate prioritised and fact-(data) and risk-based regulatory and enforcement programme;
- Improve responsible and safe pesticide use through a proactive and preventive regulatory and enforcement approach.