The goal of the project is to edge off torture in the Republic of Moldova, including in Transnistria.
1) Contributing to offering direct legal and psychological assistance to victims of torture and their social rehabilitation;
2) Contributing to increasing public awareness of inadmissibility of torture;
3) Contributing to implementing the provisions of international acts on inadmissibility of torture and the recommendations of the UN Committee against Torture in Moldova;
4) Contributing to creating an NGO network focused on combating torture and capacity building of the network members;
5) Contributing to improving the professional level of the organizations involved in protection against torture;
6) Contributing to capacity building activities for the People’s Advocate Office (Ombudsmen Office) and their staff;
7) Contributing to improving the knowledge of policemen and law students from Moldavian universities (future police officers, prosecutors, judges) on the responsibility for the application of tortures and methods to prevent torture; cultivating intolerant attitude toward torture in the law students; Promoting the development of the policemen’s unacceptance and the fear of the use of torture in their practice.
Target groups: prison staff, policemen, psychiatric institution staff, boarding facility staff; Law students from Moldavian universities (future police officers, prosecutors, judges); Inmates, citizens detained by the police, mental hospital patients, children from boarding schools; Members of the NGO Network for combating torture.
Final beneficiaries: victims of torture an dcitizens of Moldova who may potentially become victims of torture (inmates, citizens detained by the police, mental hospital patients and children from boarding schools).
- Creating three regional centers for offering direct legal, psychological, and rehabilitation assistance to victims of torture (real and prospective) in Chisinau, Gagauzia, and Transnistria. Addresses of centers: Chisinau - 71 Bucuresti str. (Tel. 067203040); Comrat - 21/3 Tretiacova str. (Tel. 078899110); Tiraspol - 12/12 Shevchenko str. (Tel. 077973007).
- Workshops for staff of detention centers, prisons, psychiatric hospitals, and policemen to raise their awareness of the liability for torture.
- Interactive workshops for law students from Moldavian universities (as future policemen, judges and prosecutors) to raise their intolerance toward torture.
- Workshops for inmates, mental asylum patients, and children from boarding houses to teach them legal methods of opposing torture.
- Creating a permanently working NGO Network for combating torture and capacity building for Network members.
- Extensive public awareness campaign for increasing social intolerance towards torture and raising public awareness of the necessity of the important of the National Preventive Mechanism against Torture.