EUBAM is an advisory, technical mission that works in the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine with the aim of:
- Supporting the development of Transnistria-related confidence-building measures and approximation of legislation and procedures in customs, trade, transport and trans-boundary management;
- Ensuring implementation of the Integrated Border Management at the Moldova-Ukraine border with a special attention to its Transnistrian segment; and
- Combating cross-border crime on the Moldova-Ukraine border, especially at the Transnistrian segment.
- General Border Police Inspectorate, Republic of Moldova;
- Customs Service of the Republic of Moldova;
- State Fiscal Service of Ukraine;
- State Border Guard Service of Ukraine.
- Support to Transnistria settlement process and confidence building through technical solutions that contributed to the restauration of international rail transport corridors for passengers (2010) and freight (2012) traffic through Transnistria as well as to the access for Transnistrian private vehicles registered with neutral-design license plates to international road traffic (2018).
- Mediation and technical support that resulted in launching the modern and faster diesel passenger train between Chisinau and Odessa via Tiraspol proving an opportunity for a convenient international connection and facilitating people-to-people contacts (2018).
- Ensuring non-discriminatory treatment and access to the EU trade preferences for goods exported by Transnistria-based companies registered with Moldovan authorities and promoting the trade with EU to Transnistrian business community (2006 onwards).
- Advisory support to Moldovan and Ukrainian customs agencies on the application of preferential treatment of goods, modernization of customs procedures and Intellectual Property Rights enforcement that contributed to a smooth introduction of the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Agreements (DCFTAs) with the European Union and enhancing trade facilitation.
- Assistance to the implementation of Integrated Border Management concept that led to the introduction of joint control in six border crossing points and adoption of a new modern agreement (2017) allowing the expansion of joint control to other border crossing points as well as launching of joint border patrolling at the Moldova-Ukrainian border (2012).
- Support to the visa liberalization process through contribution to the transformation of the border agencies to modern European-type law-enforcement agencies, approximation of the national border-related legislation to EU Schengen acquis and strengthening enforcement of border control procedures.
- Advisory and operational support to preventing and combating cross-border crime through introduction of common border security assessments, information exchange and numerous law enforcement operations and other mechanisms that resulted in strengthening cooperation among law enforcement agencies, better identification of threats and higher detection and investigation capacity.
- Delivery of a complex capacity building program for border and customs agencies that included over 450 training courses with about 10,000 officers trained and more than 60 study-visits to the EU member states.
- EUBAM helps partners to fight transnational and cross border organised crime, promoting inter-agency and cross border cooperation in detection, investigation and enforcement of crime. Special focus is given to combating smuggling of tobacco products, arms and munition, explosive and nuclear materials though enhancing of risks analyses and threat assessment tools of Moldovan and Ukrainian border agencies.